Conference of Rectors of the
Universities of the European South West
The Conference of Rectors of Universities and Polytechnic Institutes of Southwestern Europe (CRUSOE by its initials in Spanish) is a non-profit and international association, constituted by the Universities of Galicia, Castile and Leon, Asturias, Cantabria, and the North Region and Central Region of Portugal.
A total of 23 higher education entities, more than 150 national reference research groups in Spain and Portugal, and almost 240,000 students spread over 40 campuses (4 of them rated as international excellence) makes the strengths of the CRUSOE Network, that is defined as an alternative to traditional institutional knowledge networks and, at the same time, promotes new projects in the macro-regional space of Southwestern Europe, RESOE.
Since 2011, CRUSOE works to redefine a multidisciplinary space for academic collaboration and research and innovation, which contributes to territorial development and intelligent specialization of South-west of Europe.
CRUSOE is defined as an entity of institutional representation and cooperation of associated universities. It aims to contribute to the promotion and improvement of higher education and territorial development, through inter-university cooperation, dialogue between universities and social agents, as well as institutional cooperation with regional and state governments.
- Encourage critical thinking, the culture of freedom and pluralism, as well as the principles of a democratic, open and supportive society.
- Promote respect for human rights and environment, social responsibility and international cooperation.
- Defend the principles of justice, independence, equality and non-discrimination based on birth, race, sex, religion, opinion or any other personal or social condition or circumstance.
- Support an integral training of the people to enable them to act throughout their lives as responsible citizens and qualified professionals.
- Contribute to the sustained and sustainable progress of society through the transfer and the socialization of knowledge.
- Promote communication and dialogue between peoples.
- Assume the culture of quality, evaluation, transparency and accountability.
- Promote and develop the quality of higher education, research, knowledge transfer and innovation, as well as the dissemination of science and culture in order to achieve social progress.
- Represent the Universities and Polytechnic Institutes that are members of the network and encourage the cooperation between them and the Administrations, Public Corporations and social agents.
- Consolidate the social projection and commitment of Universities and Polytechnic Institutes with the society.
- Strengthen the quality and connections of Universities and Polytechnic Institutes and reinforce the relationships between them, respecting their special features.
- Defend the autonomy of Universities and Polytechnic Institutes before public authorities and Spanish and Portuguese society.
- To be a benchmark of knowledge for higher education.
- Promote the internationalization of the associated Universities and Polytechnic Institutes.
- Cooperate with public and private entities in order to carry out common interest actions for Universities and Polytechnic Institutes.
- Represent the associated Universities and Polytechnic Institutes in the international bodies.
Rector University of Minho
University of Minho, Rector Rui Vieira de Castro.
Degree in Portuguese-English Teaching. Master in Historical Linguistics and PhD in Education, in the area of Portuguese Teaching Methodology. He joined the University of Minho as an assistant in 1983, and as a professor at the Minho Institute of Education since 2005. He was vice-rector of the University of Minho between 2009 and 2013.
His scientific interests have focused on the areas of Education and Language, and mainly in the fields of education in Portuguese and literacy.
Rector de la Universidad de Cantabria
University of Cantabria, Rector Ángel Pazos Carro.
Doctor of Medicine and Surgery, and Professor of Pharmacology since 1992. His teaching activity has focused on the effects of drugs on humans. He has participated in several official masters degrees and in more than twenty national and European research projects.
He has served as deputy manager of the National Research Plan in the Ministry of Science and Technology of Spain in the area of Biomedicine (1999-2003). He is an academic of the Royal Academy of Medicine of Cantabria and National Research Prize «Juan Carlos I».
Rector de la Universidad de Santiago de Compostela
University of Santiago de Compostela, Rector Antonio López Díaz.
PhD in Law at the USC and Professor of Financial and Tax Law. Among other positions, he has been vice-rector of Coordination of the Santiago Campus and vice-rector of Infrastructure Management Coordination, as well as Dean of the Faculty of Law. In 2007, the Galician Parliament elected him as member of the Council of Counts. He held this position until 2013. Between 2007 and 2010 he was the senior advisor of this body. In June 2018 he took up the position as rector of the USC.
Since he got his Degree till now, he has developed an intense teaching and research career with many publications and teaching and research stays at the universities of Sao Paolo, Montevideo and Bologna.
Rector de la Universidad de Vigo
University of Vigo, Rector Salustiano Mato de la Iglesia.
Professor of Zoology and PhD in Biology. Since 2000, he has been Professor of Zoology in the Department of Ecology and Animal Biology at the University of Vigo at the Faculty of Biology. He has published more than one hundred scientific papers in his field of specialization: soil ecology and waste treatment. His professional experience has focused on the academic sphere, and he has fulfilled several responsibilities at the University of Vigo. Between 2005 and 2009 he was managing director of Research, Development and Innovation at the Xunta of Galicia.
VOCALS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
University of Beira Interior
Rector of the University of Beira Interior
Degree in Philosophy at the University of Lisbon, Magister Artium and PhD in Philosophy at the University of Würzburg (Germany). Professor at the University of Beira Interior and director of Labcom – Online Communication Laboratory. He was a founder of the Library of Communication Sciences and the Portuguese Society of Communication Sciences. His areas of expertise are Rhetoric and Semiotics and their application in the online communications field.
Polytechnic Institute of Viana do Castelo
President of the Polytechnic Institute of Viana do Castelo
PhD in Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Aveiro. He joined the Polytechnic Institute of Viana do Castelo in 1989 and served as Vice President of this institution until he was elected president in the April 2019 elections, replacing Rui Alberto Martins Teixeira, who presided over the Polytechnic Institute since 2004.
University of Oviedo
Rector of the University of Oviedo
He is a Spanish jurist, specialist in Constitutional Law. He was Secretary General and Vice Chancellor of the University of Oviedo during the term of Rector Juan Vázquez and until January 2020 Secretary of the Social Council of the University of Oviedo.
University of Burgos
Rector of the University of Burgos
Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. He has been vice-rector of Academic Planning and Quality of the University of Burgos, dean of the Faculty of Science and Food Technology of the University of Valladolid and vice-rector of Research and International Relations of the University of Burgos. He has conducted and coordinated several research programmes on food biotechnology, food and health.
University of León
Rector of the University of Leon
Doctor in Veterinary Medicine at the University of Zaragoza. Since 1993 he is Professor at the University of León in the area of Animal Health, specializing in Pathology. He holds the position of Rector of the University of León since 2016. He was Dean of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and has been a member of numerous international scientific committees and responsible for research programs in his academic field.